Rules Questions

Questions, updates, free products for Saganami Island Tactical Simulator

Re: Rules Questions

Postby Capt. DolbiSH » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:58 am

Dorsai wrote:I can understand why it may have been missed due to the fact that no one wants to leave and enemy ship with a chance at an up the kilt shot but it should have been looked at in the playtest.

Jon, thanks for your confirmation. Unfortunately, this issue is not limited to chase battles. I've noted it in other situation, but I wanted to show you this problem on the most prominent example: chase fight. Here is the situation in which I've noted the problem originally:
Distances2.gif
(105.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet

The pair of ships on the left have the following absolute vectors: Red 6E 6F, Green 6A 6F. Green shoots Red from 12 hexes in the middle phase and from 9 hexes in the late phase. Red shoots Green from 12 hexes in the middle phase and from 6 hexes in the late phase.
For the right part we assign a vector of 6F to the map. The ships are the same, with the same absolute velocities. Now Red has vector 6E, while Green has vector 6A. And suddenly Green is not in a disadvantage in the late phase any more. Red’s shooting solutions remain the same: 12 hexes in the middle phase and 6 hexes in the late phase. While Green shoots Red from 12 hexes in the middle phase and from 6 hexes (not 9 as previously!) in the late phase.

Shooting system just doesn’t work properly! Another conflict occurs when the ships have completely the same vectors. If we count them stationary, everything is fine. But if we place some EoT and Middle markers on the map, one of the ships gets an advantage.
I hope you will find the solution, because I can’t find any… I don’t know how is it solved in the other Ken’s games, but I guess that huge velocities and scales of battles in Honorverse complicate the situation even more.
Sine ira et studio...
Capt. DolbiSH

Postby TerriPray » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:12 am

There is a 3.0 in progress - where we hope issues like this can be fixed. Ken Burnside is no longer involved in the project, and hasn't been involved in Honor Harrington related work for almost a year at this time. So, Jon is working on problems as he is made aware of them.

Fortunately we'll be at Honorcon in two weeks time, where he hopes to be able to play test some fixes for situations like this.
TerriPray

Postby Dorsai » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:41 pm

This has been running through my head over the last couple of days and I think the problem is with giving the map a vector which causes an issue with the combat system. It also distorts the vectors of both ships which is the first thing that i noticed in the second pic. I am thinking that giving the map a vector is the core to this problem.
Dorsai

Postby Dorsai » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:44 pm

From a firing viewpoint, Green is really at a disadvantage from that point of view because he is about to eat a broadside down the throat starting next turn in the early salvo. Not to mention the one or two salvos that may have a chance of going around the edge of the wedge....... :o
Dorsai

Postby Capt. DolbiSH » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:42 am

Dorsai wrote:I am thinking that giving the map a vector is the core to this problem.

Yes, that's the main problem. But a minor speed of 0.1c equals 40 tactical hexes per turn. This is too much already: ships that are in adjacent hexes and have the same vectors will be shooting each other from 20 hexes in the middle and late phase. And in Honorverse battles occur at velocities of more than 0.5c.
Sine ira et studio...
Capt. DolbiSH

Postby Capt. DolbiSH » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:30 am

Almost a year have passed... Were any solutions found?
Sine ira et studio...
Capt. DolbiSH

Previous

Return to SITS